Sunday, December 21, 2008

Musing about memories

She smiled, wanly, and we talked. Between "gigs" as they say. Your mind plays tricks on you when a long-term relationship ends. Actually, I've come to think my mind plays tricks on me most of the time, but that might be an age-related thing.

I got to thinking as we chatted, and even more as our chatting got more animated, turning into Chattering. I had a pet parrokeet once, which had a habit of Chattering. One of Jenny's cousins thinks that's where I got it from (the chattering, not the thinking part).

The thinking went something like this -- Thoreau said it beautifully: “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” Shakespeare had a slightly different twist, having Brutus say: "There is a tide in the affairs of men. which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries."

Well, easy to say -- HARD to do. The trick for each of us is how to know when to do what. There is a great little book making the rounds, called "Not Quite What I was Planning" which features six-word succinct (!) autobiographies. Such as "I stopped needing approval. Didn’t I?" Or "Found true love, married someone else". How about "Jumped out of perfectly good airplane."

We ended our Chattering with a hug. Hugs are hugely important. Grab someone near you and HUG THEM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Making a difference is a great concept. How do you decide on the topic or area of concern though? I have always found that "getting started" is the most important step. Ideas come in the middle of the night, but action is the only meaningful eventuality. Get started!